Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
[Synth ID] Help identifying a glassy pad used in Paper Mario?
Staff
#1
0
0
[Synth ID] Help identifying a glassy pad used in Paper Mario?

Hey folks. Ever since I played Paper Mario as a young kid, I was obsessed with this synth / pad sound used in several tracks on it. I've heard it elsewhere, I'm pretty sure (see links below), but I've never been able to track it down. I know Nintendo 64 hardware generally works off sound fonts assembled from samples, but the fact that I've heard it elsewhere leads me to believe it's at least an imitation of a patch from a well-known synth, perhaps from the 80s, and to me sounds like granular synthesis, similar to the Wavestation. I'm not super familiar with synths though, so these are all guesses. Any help identifying it would honestly me so much to me.

Examples:

Paper Mario - Prologue Constant tones, transposed in 5 descending pitches at the beginning. Just the synth and nothing else I think.

Paper Mario - Snow Road Used for several phrases in the B section of song, various pitches

Paper Mario - Over Shiver Mountain Used repeatedly for A section of song

Mystere Soundtrack - Overture The only non-Paper Mario example I can think of at the moment. Used intermittently at the beginning of the piece. Pretty clearly sounds the same as the Paper Mario patch to me, albeit higher fidelity

submitted by /u/iccosahedron
[link] [comments]
Reply


Forum Jump:

[-]
Private Messages
Please login or register to use this functionality.

[-]
Who's Online
There are currently no members online.

[-]
Latest Threads
Five Best Value Single-Cut Guitars of 20...
Last Post: SynthWizard
Today 01:07 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 0
VirtualDJ 2026: New AI Updates Bring Sho...
Last Post: SynthWizard
Today 01:07 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 0
ReSing Voices Vol 2 from IK Multimedia
Last Post: SynthWizard
Today 01:07 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 0
Arturia update the MiniFreak
Last Post: SynthWizard
Today 01:07 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 0
VSL introduce Synchron Cimbalom & World ...
Last Post: SynthWizard
Today 01:07 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 0
Gibson & Baggs unveil HiFi DNA pickup
Last Post: SynthWizard
Today 01:07 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 0
Image-Line & Antares reveal AutoTune Go
Last Post: SynthWizard
Today 01:07 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 0
Modartt launch Airteq
Last Post: SynthWizard
Today 01:07 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 0
Wavea release Flite V2
Last Post: SynthWizard
Today 01:07 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 0