Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
[Synth ID] Help identifying a glassy pad used in Paper Mario?
Staff
#1
0
0
[Synth ID] Help identifying a glassy pad used in Paper Mario?

Hey folks. Ever since I played Paper Mario as a young kid, I was obsessed with this synth / pad sound used in several tracks on it. I've heard it elsewhere, I'm pretty sure (see links below), but I've never been able to track it down. I know Nintendo 64 hardware generally works off sound fonts assembled from samples, but the fact that I've heard it elsewhere leads me to believe it's at least an imitation of a patch from a well-known synth, perhaps from the 80s, and to me sounds like granular synthesis, similar to the Wavestation. I'm not super familiar with synths though, so these are all guesses. Any help identifying it would honestly me so much to me.

Examples:

Paper Mario - Prologue Constant tones, transposed in 5 descending pitches at the beginning. Just the synth and nothing else I think.

Paper Mario - Snow Road Used for several phrases in the B section of song, various pitches

Paper Mario - Over Shiver Mountain Used repeatedly for A section of song

Mystere Soundtrack - Overture The only non-Paper Mario example I can think of at the moment. Used intermittently at the beginning of the piece. Pretty clearly sounds the same as the Paper Mario patch to me, albeit higher fidelity

submitted by /u/iccosahedron
[link] [comments]
Reply


Forum Jump:

[-]
Private Messages
Please login or register to use this functionality.

[-]
Who's Online
There are currently no members online.

[-]
Latest Threads
Synchro Arts unveil VocAlign 7
Last Post: SynthWizard
Today 06:47 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 1
Polyend introduce the Loop
Last Post: SynthWizard
Today 06:47 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 2
Waves introduce Tracks Live 2.0
Last Post: SynthWizard
Today 06:47 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 1
SoundBridge 3.2.0 arrives
Last Post: SynthWizard
Today 06:47 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 2
Kreuzberg Audio reveal Oberton
Last Post: SynthWizard
Today 06:47 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 1
The Crow Hill Company release Children’s...
Last Post: SynthWizard
Today 06:47 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 1
Neumann launch the KK 104 A & KK 105 A
Last Post: SynthWizard
Today 06:47 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 2
LW6 wireless headphones from Lewitt Audi...
Last Post: SynthWizard
Today 04:53 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 4
Avalanche Tones introduce Noise Suite
Last Post: SynthWizard
Today 04:53 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 4