Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Fell totally in love with FM synthesis this year. Thoughts on it?
Staff
#1
0
0
Fell totally in love with FM synthesis this year. Thoughts on it?

<!-- SC_OFF --><div class="md"><p>It started a year ago when I scored a trailer entirely with FL Studio DX10. I found the FM concept easy to understand because of the visual representation in the VST (when I use other VST FM synths I choose a very simple algorithm as I assume the DX10 is setup- it doesnt give you options for such).</p> <p>I cant explain exactly why, but I feel like I get &quot;cleaner&quot; sounds or something, maybe because FM is sort of like starting with a pure sine and then adding harmonics? I'm not stacking a bunch of oscillators then carving out what I don't want (subtractive synthesis)? I feel like I get less random meaningless harmonics/troublesome frequencies (mud/annoying resonance). I'm not a mixing or recording expert or anything, but this cant be my imagination.</p> <p>I got all these SURPRISINGLY WARM and often RATHER CONVINCING sounds easily and largely accidentally- a brass/horn patch, a theremin- like sound, stuff that sounds pretty choir-like (I was just going nuts tweaking not really thinking about what type of sounds I was going for). All stuff I didnt know FM was good at. It's more of a swiss army knife than gets credit for!!!</p> <p>The trailer (the project fell through as I'm moving into animating my movie ideas): </p> <p><a href="https://youtu.be/7hpOuv3CUiA">https://youtu.be/7hpOuv3CUiA</a></p> <p>Anyways just musing here. Wondering if anyone has any thoughts or experiences regarding the advantages of FM (dont just say it's hard, that's a common refrain).</p> </div><!-- SC_ON --> submitted by <a href="https://www.reddit.com/user/shocksfrombeyond"> /u/shocksfrombeyond </a> <br/> <span><a href="https://www.reddit.com/r/synthesizers/comments/etx6zu/fell_totally_in_love_with_fm_synthesis_this_year/">[link]</a></span> <span><a href="https://www.reddit.com/r/synthesizers/comments/etx6zu/fell_totally_in_love_with_fm_synthesis_this_year/">[comments]</a></span>
Reply


Messages In This Thread
Fell totally in love with FM synthesis this year. Thoughts on it? - by SynthWizard - 01-26-2020, 07:41 AM

Forum Jump:

[-]
Private Messages
Please login or register to use this functionality.

[-]
Who's Online
There are currently no members online.

[-]
Latest Threads
Wes Audio unveil the ngOmniBox
Last Post: SynthWizard
Today 04:08 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 0
Zynaptiq introduce Loud & Wide
Last Post: SynthWizard
Today 04:08 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 0
Infrasonic: The Cutting Sessions
Last Post: SynthWizard
Today 04:08 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 0
The Asura from Animal Factory Amps
Last Post: SynthWizard
Today 04:08 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 0
Scaler Music introduce Scaler EQ Pro
Last Post: SynthWizard
Today 04:08 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 0
Boss launch the EX-4 Effects Expander
Last Post: SynthWizard
Today 04:08 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 0
Native Instruments update Maschine
Last Post: SynthWizard
Today 04:08 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 0
Finalist 2 from Tim Exile
Last Post: SynthWizard
Today 03:14 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 4
Two notes to launch the Captor X Pro
Last Post: SynthWizard
Today 03:14 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 3