Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
TIP: How to get CV control on ES-9
Staff
#1
0
0
TIP: How to get CV control on ES-9

This approach avoids using any computer or iPad, for people wanting to keep everything on the rack and make the best out of ES-9 internal mixer.

I always thought MIDI CC was meant to control levels on ES-9 standalone mode using an external MIDI controller. So I tried a different route: set up cv control on ES-9 using a CV to MIDI module (CV Thing) and a breakout (MIDIXO), and it works VERY well.

The first I tested is controlling the ¼” Main output level with a knob fixed 0-5V from Quadratt, this way I get a level control before the speakers like most interfaces do. Nice.

Then I tried Mod Medusa as envelope. The response is so good that ES-9 can take very short and fast envelopes to use internally. I think this hasn't been discussed, but it totally opens up ES-9 to CV control in very little footprint (4-6hp, all racked). All levels can be CVed, in mono or stereo: inputs, main output, phones mix, sends, sidechain... depending on you skills with the configuration tool Wink

If anybody is interested or uses ES-9 on standalone mode often, I can totally recommend getting a CV to MIDI module. Even for hosted mode you can get a bunch of mono or stereo VCAs before the DAW.

CVM-8 (ES cv to midi/i2c module) would be the best pairing since it has direct connection on the back of the module. This way, CVM-8 becomes an expander to ES-9, adding a highly configurable 8in 16out VCA matrix with offset and attenuation (range) per output.

It seems the internal ES-9 filters can't be controlled with MIDI, or at least I wasn't able to. If possible, all the inputs would gain mono or stereo voltage controlled filters.

Still amazed how well it works.

submitted by /u/CarlosUnchained
[link] [comments]
Reply


Forum Jump:

[-]
Private Messages
Please login or register to use this functionality.

[-]
Who's Online
There are currently no members online.

[-]
Latest Threads
Bass++ Mods
Last Post: SynthWizard
Today 03:09 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 0
IK Multimedia Tonex 2 Player now availab...
Last Post: SynthWizard
Today 03:09 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 0
Austrian Audio introduce the OC616
Last Post: SynthWizard
Today 03:09 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 0
Shure’s MV6 gets Gen 2 upgrade
Last Post: SynthWizard
Today 03:09 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 0
iFi audio reveal the GR2 MT
Last Post: SynthWizard
Today 03:09 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 0
MOTU Digital Performer 12 now available
Last Post: SynthWizard
Today 03:09 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 0
Roland update Zenology GX for iPad
Last Post: SynthWizard
Today 03:09 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 0
Volt Gen 2 & Volt Max interfaces from Un...
Last Post: SynthWizard
Today 03:09 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 0
PWM Preferences!
Last Post: SynthWizard
Today 01:49 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 2