Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Noob Question: How to think about voices / sound sources
Staff
#1
0
0
Noob Question: How to think about voices / sound sources

I've been watching a lot of videos from FACTMagazine on youtube in the "Patch Notes" series and am fascinated by the modular.

I've understood that most modular setups are monophonic yet all of these videos I'm watching feature pads + basslines + leads. Is each one of these discrete sounds I'm hearing coming from a different sound source (ie multiple VCOs in the rack) and the output is being mixed somewhere at the end of the chain, either by a mixing module or an external mixing board? Put another way, is the number of simultaneous sounds equal to the number of sound producing modules?

It's unclear to me because many performances are using external tools that are capable of sampling so it's hard for me to tell if I'm listening to samples being triggered vs multiple sounds coming out simultaneously

I hope this question doesn't come across as low effort, but if it does please berate me for not reading X so I can go and read it Wink

submitted by /u/fuckingoverit
[link] [comments]
Reply


Forum Jump:

[-]
Private Messages
Please login or register to use this functionality.

[-]
Who's Online
There are currently no members online.

[-]
Latest Threads
Bass++ Mods
Last Post: SynthWizard
Today 03:09 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 4
IK Multimedia Tonex 2 Player now availab...
Last Post: SynthWizard
Today 03:09 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 5
Austrian Audio introduce the OC616
Last Post: SynthWizard
Today 03:09 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 5
Shure’s MV6 gets Gen 2 upgrade
Last Post: SynthWizard
Today 03:09 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 2
iFi audio reveal the GR2 MT
Last Post: SynthWizard
Today 03:09 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 5
MOTU Digital Performer 12 now available
Last Post: SynthWizard
Today 03:09 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 3
Roland update Zenology GX for iPad
Last Post: SynthWizard
Today 03:09 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 5
Volt Gen 2 & Volt Max interfaces from Un...
Last Post: SynthWizard
Today 03:09 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 2
PWM Preferences!
Last Post: SynthWizard
Today 01:49 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 4